- Indian Medical Association (Hqrs.)
- IMA House, Indraprastha Marg, New Delhi-110002
- Phone:+91-11-2337-0009 / 8819 / 8680 / 0473 / 0492 / 8424
- Fax:+91-11-2337-9470 / 0375 / 9178
"May everybody be happy,
May everyone of us see to it
that nobody suffers from any pain or sorrow.
I do not ask for crown
nor do I wish to be in heaven or reborn,
I only want to alleviate the suffering of those people who are burning
in the fire of sorrow."
We, the members of Indian Medical Association stand here to salute our National Flag, Its honour and glory shall be our light & strength and its course shall be our course. We pledge our allegiance to it and realizing our responsibilities as the accredited members of this national organization, we swear we will dedicate everything in our power to see it fly high in the comity of Nations. Jai Hind! Long Live IMA! Long Live South Kolkata Medical Association (IMA Behala Branch) !
Indian Medical Association is the only representative, national voluntary organization of Doctors of Modern Scientific System of Medicine, which looks after the interest of doctors as well as the well being of the community at large.
The founding fathers way back in 1928, while struggling for liberation of the Motherland from British rule simultaneously felt the need of a national organization of the medical profession. Before that, some members of the profession – a selected few – were members of the British Medical Association, which had opened branches in India to cater to the local needs. These stalwarts, ultimately succeeded in formation of Indian Medical Association and reached an agreement with the British Medical Association that they will have no branch in India, and got mutually affiliated, which relationship continues till today.
Indian Medical Association in the year 1946 helped in organization of the World body, namely, World Medical Association, and thus became its founder member. As an organization it has been, and continues to play an important role in its deliberations. It hosted the III World Conference on Medical Education under the joint auspices of W.M.A. and I.M.A. in New Delhi in 1966.
Today, I.M.A. is a well established organization with its Headquarters at Delhi and State / Territorial. Branches in 29 States and Union Territories. It has over 240,000 doctors as its members through more than 1650 active local branches spread all over the country.
- To promote and advance medical and allied sciences in all their different branches and to promote the improvement of public health and medical education in India
- To maintain the honor and dignity and to uphold the interest of the medical profession and to promote co-operation amongst the members thereof
- To work for the abolition of compartmentalize in medical education, medical services and registration in the country and this to achieve equality among all members of the profession
Role Of IMA
An appeal to all non-IMA DOCTORS:
IMA has given a life time opportunity to become its member by reducing subscription to half for a short period of time. So enroll as soon as possible.
WHAT IMA DOES FOR THE DOCTORS
- IMA is the largest organization of qualified doctors in India with a membership of 2 lakhs and 40 thousand.. So be a part of it.
- JOURNAL OF IMA (JIMA) is the largest circulated INDEXED medical Journal in the world which is sent to all its members free of cost each month.
- No promotion in the Medical Education Service in the state is possible without publishing a paper in JIMA. Non-members articles are not published in JIMA.
- IMA organizes CMEs on various topics for the updating knowledge of its members.
- IMA organizes ALL INDIA MEDICAL CONFERENCE annually for its members.
- IMA organizes Foreign Study tours for its members every year.
- IMA gives fellowship ( FIAMS ) to its members through its Academic wing IMA ACADEMY OF MEDICAL SPECIALITIES.
- IMA gives fellowship ( FCGP) and M.D. Family Medicine to its members through its Academic wing IMA COLLEGE OF GENERAL PRACTITIONERS.
- IMA conducts many certificate courses like Geriatrics, Pediatrics, Critical care, Sports medicine, Torture medicine, Vaccination etc. through its wing AKN Sinha Institute of Medical Sciences.
- IMA runs National Social Security Scheme for its members. In the event of unfortunate death of a member, the family gets a good amount of money by paying a small annual premium.
- IMA runs a National Professional Protection Scheme to protect the interest of doctors in the cases of Medical Negligence and Litigations.
- IMA runs Guest Houses in all the major cities of the country for its members.
- IMA fights to protect its members from assault, intimidation, abuse etc.
- IMA fights for the protection of rights, dignity and honor of medical profession and medical education.
- IMA has fought against anti doctors CPA, CEA, BRMS, NCHRH bill.
- IMA represents doctors in all the medical education and health care delivery related committees of the central and state government, like MCI, SMC, CSIC,
- IMA represents doctors in all the ROGI KALYAN SAMITIS of State Hospitals.
- IMA runs a Benevolent Fund to provide financial assistance to its members in the event of any crisis. Even members can secure Loan from this fund.
- IMA gives various orations - awards to its members during the annual conference. All the members are eligible to compete for these awards.
- In order to raise health awareness among the people, IMA publishes Two Health magazines, one in English from Kolkata and another in hindi from Varanasi
- IMA organizes various free health check-up camps and blood donation camps for the poor people all over the country.
- To serve the society in a better way IMA adopts various country level projects like Aao gaon chalen, Anemia free India, Beti bachao etc.
- IMA collaborates with central and state governments in all the National programmes like RNTCP DOTS, Diarrhea control programme, Leprosy control programme, Pulse Polio & National Vaccination Programme.
- IMA has played major role in near eradication of POLIO from the country.
- IMA provides a common platform to all the doctors trained in modern medicine for get-together, interact, exchange ideas and above all to strengthen the bond of unity, solidarity and brotherhood among themselves.
I swear by Apollo Physician, by Aesculapius, by Health, by Heal-all, and by all the Gods and Goddesses, making them witnesses, that I will carry out, according to my ability and judgment, this oath and this indenture.
To regard my teacher in this art as equal to my parents; to make him partner in my livelihood, and when he is in need of money to share mine with him, to consider his offspring equal to my brothers; to teach them this art; if they require to learn it, without fee or indenture; and to impart precept, oral instruction, and all the other learning, to my sons, to the sons of my teacher, and to pupils who have signed the indenture and sworn obedience to the physicians’ Law, but to none other. I will use treatment to help the sick according to my ability and judgment, but I will never use it to injure or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone though asked to do so, nor will I suggest such a plan. Similarly I will not give a pessary to a woman to cause abortion. But in purity and in holiness, I will guard my life and my art. I will not use the knife on sufferers from stone, but I will give place to such as are craftsmen therein.
Into whatsoever houses I enter, I will do so to help the sick, keeping myself free from all intentional wrongdoing and harm, especially from fornication with woman or man, bond or free.
Whatsoever in the course of practice I see or hear (or even outside my practice in social intercourse) that ought never to be published abroad, I will not divulge, but will consider such things to be holy secrets.
Now if I keep this oath and break it not, may I enjoy honor, in my life and art, among all men for all time; but if I transgress and forswear myself, may the opposite befall me.
At the time of registration, each applicant shall be given a copy of the following declaration by the Registrar concerned and the applicant shall read and agree to abide by the same:
- I solemnly pledge myself to consecrate my life to service of humanity.
- Even under threat, I will not use my medical knowledge contrary to the laws of Humanity.
- I will maintain the utmost respect for human life from the time of conception.
- I will not permit considerations of religion, nationality, race, party politics or social standing to intervene between my duty and my patient.
- I will practice my profession with conscience and dignity.
- The health of my patient will be my first consideration.
- I will respect the secrets which are confined in me.
- I will give to my teachers the respect and gratitude which is their due.
- I will maintain by all means in my power, the honor and noble traditions of medical profession.
- I will treat my colleagues with all respect and dignity.
- I shall abide by the code of medical ethics as enunciated in the Indian Medical Council (Professional Conduct, Etiquette and Ethics) Regulations 2002.
- I make these promises solemnly, freely and upon my honor.